PLASTIC PACKAGING TAX
The UK Government introduced a new Plastic Packaging Tax (PPT) on the 1st April 2022. This tax at the rate of £200 per tonne will have to be paid on any plastic packaging that falls within the tax rules.
The tax applies when the plastic packaging component does not contain a minimum of 30% recycled content. If you manufacture or import packaging, you will need to take steps to establish your status within the tax.
Companies that manufacture or import more than 10 tonnes of plastic in 12 months will have to register and keep additional records to calculate and pay if they are the company performing the last substantial modification before filling, packing and labelling. As printing has been designated as a 'substantial modification' many packaging producers will undertake the last substantial modification and be required to pay the tax.
If you have any questions please email the BPIF PlasticPackaging Tax Helpdesk [email protected]
For more guidance visit
The BPIF and BPIF Labels are providing support to the sector through updates, roundtables, webinars, a helpdesk and guidance via PPT hub.
- Materials Cost Index Reports BPIF Labels issue a quarterly cost index report on pressure sensitive materials. The 'Members only' report is extremely valuable in tracking the progression of self-adhesive laminate costs across Europe and references the cost progression since the 2007 start point.
- FINAT Membership FINAT is the European association for the self-adhesive label industry.
- Zero Labels 2 Landfill / Zero Foil 2 Landfill The only waste management schemes in the UK that are exclusively operated within the printing industry, aimed at eliminating label waste being sent to landfill.
- Wage Benchmarking Survey BPIF Labels - Wage Benchmarking Survey has been designed specifically to benchmark pay for a selection of occupations in the label sector.
- Sector data The following data has been extracted from the Office for National Statistics – it estimates that the value of UK Manufactured self-adhesive labels in 2021 was £954 million.
- Membership Services BPIF offer over 200 industry specific products & services to help your business reach its full potential.
- Specialist Services Trusted Independent Experts. BPIF provide expert industry specific advice so you can develop and grow a sustainable and profitable business. Whatever your size or budget we can offer a practical value-adding solution.
- Industry Involvement BPIF monitor the political agenda and identify threats and challenges to the industry. Our work has secured funding and legislative change worth millions to the industry. In addition we provide independent and relevant research used by the industry and government.
- Member Downloads
- EPR Support